Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Weakness

Weakness. It's my word of the day.
Definition:
 1.the state or quality of being weak; lack of strength, firmness, vigor, or the like; feebleness.

2.an inadequate or defective quality, as in a person's character; slight fault or defect: to show great sympathy for human weaknesses.
 
   There's something about the irony of this word that has always baffled me. I mean, I've always thought of weakness as a bad thing. It's not good to be weak. It's better to be strong. I've always tried to hide my weakness from people, like it was a defect, like a broken link in my chain. Description 2 says that it is an inadequate or defective quality. But I don't know. If weakness is a defect, then does that mean that every premature baby is born defective? Does that make us all inadequate? We all know that no one's perfect. Human Nature is flawed, but I don't think it's because of weakness. I don't think that weakness is a flawed. I think it's the fear of weakness that is the defect. I think the fear of having my weaknesses exposed has made me way more defective than my weaknesses alone. The fact that I won't open up to someone because they might see my weakness, can destroy and prevent relationships. The fact that I have a weakness, won't do nearly as much damage. Weakness is human nature. Being scared of who you are and more importantly, who you're not, is an inadequate quality.

2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome insight Grace! You have hit the nail on the head with this. Continue to post these great articles.
    Thanks =)
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouragement! I will definitely try to write some more like this. :D

    ReplyDelete