Thursday, October 21, 2010

Beauty

I was sitting in my reading period (SSR) with my journal, and I started it out by saying that I didn't know why on earth I brought my notebook to class if I didn't have anything to write about! This is because usually when I bring my notebook to class, it's because I have something that I wish to express in it. But today I had nothing, so I just sat there until I came up with my word of the day..."It's rather typical, and kind of boring" was the first thing I thought of it, but then I realized that when you really think about it, a word can be typical, but never boring...so this is my word of the day:

Beauty
 1.the quality present in a thing or person that gives intense pleasure or deep satisfaction to the mind, whether arising from sensory manifestations (as shape, color, sound, etc.), a meaningful design or pattern, or something else (as a personality in which high spiritual qualities are manifest).
 
2.a beautiful person, esp. a woman.
 
3.a beautiful thing, as a work of art or a building.
 
4.Often, beauties. something that is beautiful in nature or in some natural or artificial environment.
 
5.an individually pleasing or beautiful quality; grace; charm: a vivid blue area that is the one real beauty of the painting.
 
6.Informal . a particular advantage: One of the beauties of this medicine is the freedom from aftereffects.
 
7.(usually used ironically) something extraordinary: My sunburn was a real beauty.
 
8.something excellent of its kind: My old car was a beauty.
 
This is very interesting. When I thought of the word Beauty this morning, it was in the context of being beautiful. That is because I felt the very opposite of Beauty today. I felt like a frump! And that made me act like a frump. And as I was sitting in my desk, think about how un-beautiful I was, I started to wonder what beauty actually was. I mean, I've always thought of beauty as physical character. But today, I realized that it isn't just physical. Beauty is a state of mind. Beauty is an attitude. Rebecca Kind Dremen ( a beauty pageant judge) said that;
"You can put a Miss America in a room with a group of other attractive women and you'll find you will know exactly who she is. It's almost like a magnet. There is an inner beauty, an inner glow."
   Beauty isn't just attractiveness, it's deeper. That's why you should always walk around like you are the most beautiful women in the world, because you can't always fix a bad hair day or a bad outfit, but you can always fix your attitude.  

No comments:

Post a Comment